Another year has now passed into the annals of history as we know it. I wish I could recollect accurately about the last 365 days as a whole but my memory is limited to the moments and feelings which stand out the most.
"As long as there is a criminal class, I am in it." I believe that was Vonnegut quoting Eugene Debs but I'll double check it. From here on out I will be able to identify, through a very small experience, with the criminal class of the world in a literal way. I was arrested for the first time, and will serve 72 hours in county in a matter of days. Though this is by no means the same experience that many fellow prisoners have I do remind myself that this is, if I recall correctly, approx.68 hours longer than one Johnny Cash spent behind bars and he managed to become the mouthpiece of the criminal class for two whole generations. My experience in losing my freedom will be documented here in about a week.
I behaved like a responsible citizen and voted in the presidential election as well as voting on state and city matters. This was the first time in my life that I've done this. For the next four years, regardless of his performance, I will be able to say that Obama "is my President."
Scoti and Brooks had another baby this year, Ruby Rose, who I have yet to meet. Adam and Tianna had their first, Julian Clark. Meeting Julian has given me a reason to hope our planet holds out for another century now. I can look at him and tell he will be an amazing man someday.
Uncle Larry died this year. Cancer. He was ill and he's always been a tough guy. I'm sure that he confronted his mortality with clarity and strength.
I've gotten to fall in love a few times this year. It's not as dramatic as it sounds, since it's such an easy thing to do. I've learned that physical beauty isn't worth a drop of mental stability and happiness. I fell for someone who was dropdead knockout gorgeous in every physical sense but didn't have an ounce of heart of genuine goodness to go with it. She turned out to be dirty and wicked inside but by the time I found that out it was too late. Luckily a short time later I was taken by someone I've known for a long time, who I feel truly loves me when she looks at me, and is pure positivity to the point that it radiates from her and seeps into me when I'm around her. There's no telling what will become of us but for now it feels good and every moment you have to feel good with a young good woman is a moment that should be seized. I think that's what I will miss the most if I grow old, the women, without a doubt.
As far as resolutions go I'm not going to kid myself with making any of the generic ones since most of them are ones that I make week in and week out. I do have a few legit ones though:
-I will never take being able to drive and owning a vehicle for granted again. Being mobile to travel the landscape is an amazing thing and vital to my emotional well-being. As long as I can move about, I can keep my life relatively fresh.
-I will respect the "Law" more in the sense of not doing stupid shit to get caught when it is necessary to break a Law. Regardless of whether or not I agree with whatever ridiculous law I may or may not break it is vital to never, ever, ever get caught. Someone like me will never win against the almighty Law.
-I will enjoy the small things more and enjoy the company of others more than I have.
-And the photos, yes the photos. I will once again start the "Photo-a-day" blog and hopefully stick with it this time. Daily photo taking will improve my life, that's a fact.
I'm heading to work now. Hello 2009.